Last week we filmed a video for one of our productions called Hope. The piece was written and produced about 6 months ago, but after the props got a lot of abuse, which is the nature of the piece, it was time for a revamping. So we decided to take the boxes out for one last field trip before we retired them.
This is the first production that we have every shot as a stand alone video, in the past we have shot videos that are supplements to the stage production, but this time we wanted to change it up a little and shoot something that could be used in a different format. Our first step was getting everyone together, and pick a day/time. That was very easy, our only mistake was not checking the weather before we headed out on our adventure. It rained the majority of the time we filmed. It was a little bit discouraging at first, but we stuck with it and kept shooting.
One of the best decisions we made that day was to film the final "Hope" scene first. As you can imagine having cardboard out in the rain that long has some pretty soggy consequences. By the time we got to our second filming location we were having to be creative on ways to keep the boxes intact, but the boxes in the final scene look just great! The good news is all the boxes made it for as long as we needed them to, even with Abbey beating them with a real sledge hammer.
Its almost needless to say that this production didn't take a lot of materials to make, 24 boxes, some paint, and a mix match of materials to make a realistic looking fake sledge hammer. It's really awesome how these students take the simplest things and turn them into something that has a lasting impact!